Spinderella the DJ known for her work with rap trio Salt-N-Pepa is suing her former bandmates in unpaid royalties.
According to The Blast, the DJ filed a federal lawsuit against the women after they abruptly fired her. Spinderella, whose real name is Deidra Roper is suing Pepa (Sandra Denton) and Salt (Cheryl James.) The lawsuit states that the group started recording and performing in the mid-1980s. Spinderella says she helped create the success of the group.
Text “RICKEY” to 71007 to join the Rickey Smiley Morning Show mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
Even though the band went into hiatus in the late 90’s, Spinderella continued promoting the band. But things took a turn in the early 2000s when she discovered there was a “best of” compilation album being released. Spinderella said Pepa told her that she would pay her $125,000 but that never happened.
“By the early 2000s, the Defendants discussed with Roper an SNP reunion which would have possibly involved, among other things, a television show based on the legendary female group’s rise to stardom.”
DJ Spinderella claims that she was promised a third of the group’s profits from the reality show. While she was featured on the show, she has yet to be paid.
According to The Jasmine Brand, this lawsuit is a long-time coming. In addition to royalties from the album and reality show, Spinderella claims she was never paid for the 2018 Billboard Music Award performance.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Jasmine Brand reports that the lawsuit became necessary when Spinderella learned, through SoundExchange, that the group had earned more than $600,000 in royalties over the last ten years. Spinderella claims she hasn’t received any of that money.
She’s suing for trademark infringement, breach of contract and fraud. She states that the group used her name to advertise their appearances.
Earlier this year, when Salt-N-Pepa announced that they were participating in a tour with New Kids On The Block and Naughty By Nature, but Spinderella released a statement sharing that she would not be joining them because she was kicked out of the group.
37 Female Rappers Who Made It In The Industry [PHOTOS]
1. Klondike BlondeSource:HotSpotAtl.com 1 of 37
2. Missy ElliottSource:Getty 2 of 37
3. Cardi BSource:Radio One 3 of 37
4. Lil KimSource:Getty 4 of 37
5. Nicki MinajSource:Getty 5 of 37
6. TrinaSource:Getty 6 of 37
7. Dej LoafSource:Getty 7 of 37
8. Da BratSource:Getty 8 of 37
9. Snow Tha ProductSource:Getty 9 of 37
10. Remy MaSource:R1 10 of 37
11. Kash DollSource:@stretchd_34 z1079 11 of 37
12. Queen LatifahSource:Getty 12 of 37
13. Little SimzSource:Courtesy of Little Simz 13 of 37
14. Lauryn HillSource:Getty 14 of 37
15. Bri StevesSource:HOT 107.5 15 of 37
16. Foxy BrownSource:Getty 16 of 37
17. Leikeli47Source:Victoria - Raleigh 17 of 37
18. MC LyteSource:Getty 18 of 37
19. Azealia BanksSource:Getty 19 of 37
20. Gangsta BooSource:Getty 20 of 37
21. Lil MamaSource:Getty 21 of 37
22. ShawnnaSource:Getty 22 of 37
23. LightSkinKeishaSource:HOT 107.5 23 of 37
24. Charli BaltimoreSource:Getty 24 of 37
25. Lay LaySource:Radio One Houston 25 of 37
26. Lisa 'Lefteye' LopezSource:Getty 26 of 37
27. Young M.A.Source:Getty 27 of 37
28. Salt-n-PepaSource:Getty 28 of 37
29. Yo-YoSource:WENN 29 of 37
30. Iggy AzaleaSource:Getty 30 of 37
31. RasheedaSource:Getty 31 of 37
32. Hazel-ESource:Getty 32 of 37
33. Karlie ReddSource:Ed Lover Show 33 of 37
34. Rah DiggaSource:Getty 34 of 37
35. EveSource:Getty 35 of 37
This story was originally published on MadameNoire.com.
ALSO TRENDING ON RICKEYSMILEYMORNINGSHOW.COM:
- DMX Lookalike Wanted For Attempted Murder In South Carolina
- It Looks Like Keshia Knight Pulliam Has A New Man [PHOTO]
- Ashanti’s Swimwear Collection With PrettyLittleThing Is Here Just In Time For A #HotGirl Summer
DJ Spinderella Suing Salt-N-Pepa For Unpaid Royalties After They Fired Her was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com