Palm Beach Gardens police will not charge Venus Williams in the car crash that killed a passenger in the other vehicle, removing a cloud that hung over the tennis star from the tragic accident, The Sun Sentinel reported.
“Based upon this investigation and relevant Florida state statutes, no charges will be filed in this case,” the police report said. The investigators concluded that neither driver was at fault.
Investigators initially found Williams at fault for the June 9 accident. But on later review, officials announced in July that the tennis player lawfully entered an intersection on a green light when the other driver T-boned Williams. The newly released report said Williams “was cut off by another car, setting off a chain of events that seconds later resulted in a fatal crash with a third car.” Neither Linda Barson, 68, nor Williams violated the other’s right of way.
Barson’s 78-year-old husband, Jerome Barson, suffered lacerations to his spleen and pelvis and spinal fractures. Unfortunately, he died 13 days later, after developing multi-organ failure while struggling for his life in an intensive care unit. Barson had filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Williams.
The tragic wreck happened during the time Williams, 37, was preparing to compete in London at the Wimbledon grand slam. She was clearly impacted emotionally from the incident. “I am divested and heartbroken by this accident. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Jerome Barson and I continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers,” she wrote.
SOURCE: Sun Sentinel
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?Source:Getty Images 1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US OpenSource:Getty Images 2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam CupSource:Getty Images 3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000Source:Getty Images 5 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000Source:Getty Images 6 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney OlympicsSource:Getty Images 7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French OpenSource:Getty Images 8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US OpenSource:Getty Images 9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfitSource:Getty Images 10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot ChampionshipsSource:Getty Images 11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfitSource:Getty Images 12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004Source:Getty Images 13 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfitSource:Getty Images 14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ DaySource:Getty Images 15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French OpenSource:Getty Images 17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson OpenSource:Getty Images 18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US OpenSource:Getty Images 20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US OpenSource:Getty Images 21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US OpenSource:Getty Images 22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian OpenSource:Getty Images 23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio OlympicsSource:Getty Images 24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio OlympicsSource:Getty Images 25 of 25
Venus Williams Cleared Of Criminal Charges In Fatal Car Crash was originally published on hellobeautiful.com