Within hours after Congress passed a sweeping overhaul of taxes, Black and Democratic lawmakers took to social media to slam Republicans for catering to corporations instead of the middle-class, and for dismantling the cornerstone of Obamacare, the individual mandate.
The measure, passed the House 224 to 201 Wednesday, is a far-reaching plan by Republicans to overhaul the tax code, according to The Washington Post. The next stop for the hard-won measure is Donald Trump‘s desk, where it is scheduled to be signed into law.
Democrats unanimously opposed the bill, along with 12 “no” votes from Republicans. The House vote came after the Senate approved an identical measure early Wednesday morning,
The plan is slated to cut taxes in 2018 for most households, with by far the largest benefits going to the wealthy, The Post wrote.
A majority of the tax breaks are scheduled to expire at the end of 2025, which would force a large swath of the middle class to pay more in taxes.
Here is how some Democrats responded to the measure:
Trump took a moment to celebrate the passage of the measure Wednesday during the last cabinet meeting of the year, namely he celebrated what he called the repeal of the Affordable Care’s Act individual mandate.
“When the individual mandate is being repealed, that means Obamacare is being repealed,” Mr. Trump said. “We will come up with something much better,” he said according to CBS, adding that block grants may be a solution to the health care dilemma.
California Democratic Rep. Judy Chu condemned Trump’s bragging, calling him a coward.
In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2017
1. Erica Garner, 27Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. LeRoy Frasier, 80Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. Don Hogan Charles, 79Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Combat Jack, 48Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mamie Johnson, 82Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Della Reese, 86Source:Splash News 6 of 24
7. Simeon Booker, 99Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. David Cassidy, 67Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Fats Domino, 89Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. Robert Guillaume, 89Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Tom Petty, 66Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Bernie Casey, 78Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Jim Vance, 75Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Fresh Kid Ice, 53Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Charlie Murphy, 57Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Chuck Berry, 90Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. James Cotton, 81Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Joni Sledge, 60Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Clyde Stubblefield, 73Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Al Jarreau, 76Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Mary Tyler Moore, 80Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Lee "Q" O'Denat, 43Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. Bishop Eddie Long, 63Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Roy Innis, 82Source:Getty 24 of 24
‘Absolute Travesty’: Black Lawmakers Slam GOP Tax Overhaul was originally published on newsone.com