On Saturday, Venus Williams failed to get her sixth Wimbledon title, losing in straight sets to Spanish player Garbine Muguruza. This is the 23-year-old player’s first Wimbledon title and second Grand slam title this year.
In the first set, Williams seemed competitive and focused with her forehand seeming stronger than ever, but after failing to cash in on three set points, Muguruza came back and won the first set 7-5. Sadly, in the second set it appeared that the 37-year-old lost her focus and confidence, losing 0-6.
Always classy, during the awards ceremony she told Muguruza, “Well done today. Beautiful.”
“There have been a lot of beautiful moments the past couple of weeks,” she added.
Williams said she missed her sister Serena, who is expecting her first child, but promised to be back.
“I played my best, but it just wasn’t my time,” she said.
However, the five-time Wimbledon champ shouldn’t walk away with her head down.
This was her second Grand Slam final this year losing to her baby sis in the Australian Open in January. She was also the oldest player to reach a Wimbledon final since 1968, the Los Angeles Times noted.
Williams also got this far in the coveted tournament despite her recent personal drama of being sued for a car accident that killed a man (police have determined that she legally entered the intersection before the accident). Not to mention, in 2011 she announced that she had been diagnosed Sjogren’s syndrome, an autoimmune disorder that “zapped her energy and forced her to alter her diet and curtail her training,” the New York Times wrote.
Venus is the epitome of resilience—both physically and emotionally.
Despite losing today, her fans and colleagues praised her and thanked her for all she has brought to the game over the past 20 years:
We can’t wait to see you at the US Open Venus!
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?Source: 1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US OpenSource: 2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam CupSource: 3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian OpenSource: 4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000Source: 5 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000Source: 6 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney OlympicsSource: 7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French OpenSource: 8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US OpenSource: 9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfitSource: 10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot ChampionshipsSource: 11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfitSource: 12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004Source: 13 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfitSource: 14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ DaySource: 15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian OpenSource: 16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French OpenSource: 17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson OpenSource: 18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian OpenSource: 19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US OpenSource: 20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US OpenSource: 21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US OpenSource: 22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian OpenSource: 23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio OlympicsSource: 24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio OlympicsSource: 25 of 25
Venus Williams Loses In Wimbledon Final In Straight Sets was originally published on hellobeautiful.com