If you’ll recall, 34-year-old Smith was gunned down, also in the New Orleans area, back in April. The details of what happened on the evening of his death were pieced together through surveillance footage, police statements, and testimony at pretrial hearings.
As ABC News puts it, “Smith, his wife and two friends left a restaurant in New Orleans’ Lower Garden District and were heading downtown when, at one point, an SUV that appeared to be Smith’s seemed to bump the rear of a Hummer that had come to a stop on the street. Rather than stop, the driver of the SUV swerved around the Hummer and continued downtown. Soon after, a Hummer, whose driver was identified by authorities as Cardell Hayes, 29, allegedly hit Smith’s SUV from behind, shattering the rear window and pushing it into the rear of another car — in which friends of Smith were riding.”
The site continues, “An off-duty officer, the first police officer on the scene, testified at a pretrial hearing that as he approached the site of the crash he heard an argument between Smith and Hayes grow more heated. Hearing gunshots, the officer took cover, according to his testimony. When he approached again, he found Smith slumped across the front seat of his car, one hand extended toward his glove box.”
A handgun was found and Hayes was charged with second-degree murder. He pled not guilty. “If convicted, he will face a mandatory life sentence, according to the AP. Hayes is also charged with attempted second-degree murder, because Smith’s wife was shot and injured in the incident, the AP reported. He has been in jail since the shooting,” the site reports.
If you missed our coverage of the Smith case, catch up here. Meanwhile, the man who fatally shot former NFL running back Joe McKnight was finally charged with manslaughter four days after the road rage incident.
We are keeping the Smith and McKnight families in our prayers at this time.
SOURCE: ABC News
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source: 1 of 13
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source: 2 of 13
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.Source: 3 of 13
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.Source: 4 of 13
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source: 5 of 13
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’Source: 6 of 13
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source: 7 of 13
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source: 8 of 13
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source: 9 of 13
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source: 10 of 13
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source: 11 of 13
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source: 12 of 13
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source: 13 of 13
Never Forget: There Was Another NFL Player Killed In A Road Rage Incident was originally published on globalgrind.com