The Pittsburgh rapper opened up about his days pre-sobriety in a new podcast episode with hip-hop comedy sketch-team ItsTheReal. In the interview, Miller revealed that music legend Rick Rubin played a very important role in getting him sober and encouraging him to get his life together. Via The FADER:
After a European tour got too crazy, the legendary producer apparently encouraged Mac to “get his life together.” Rubin helped him stay sober “a few weeks to a month,” while the rapper stayed at a house down the street from him.
“One of the tracks we did, actually, ended up on Travi$ Scott’s album. I’m not gonna say which one. I don’t know if I’m supposed to say that. It was dope!…I think, at that point, I had to make this decision—which I was proud of myself for making, that Pharrell is this artist, years in the game who’s up here. And I needed to cement my own identity and what I did first. I wanted to put out Watching Movies,” he said.
Mac even revealed he was going to put out a Christmas album with Cam’ron, saying:
It was like around the same time I was gonna do the Pharrell EP…[Cam’ron] wanted to do it like Step Brothers-themed. Looking back, I wish I [put it out]. But I’ve made, like, nine albums before putting this one [GO:OD AM] out.
Listen to the very entertaining podcast interview below, and stay tuned for the release of his new album GO:OD AM on September 18th.
SOURCE: The FADER | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Every Time Pharrell Williams Was A Trendsetter
1. Bape became successful thanks in large part to Pharrell's co-sign early on.Source:Getty 1 of 16
2. Bape, BBC, and Ice Cream had the co-sign from Kanye West.Source:Getty 2 of 16
3. Pharrell made being a N.E.R.D. cool.Source:Getty 3 of 16
4. Letterman jackets would become a staple in Pharrell's clothing line.Source:Getty 4 of 16
5. Pharrell rocking Billionaire Boys Club, his successful clothing brand.Source:Getty 5 of 16
6. Before there were Yeezys, there were Ice Creams.Source:Getty 6 of 16
7. He dubbed this oversized, bright purple Hermes as his "travel bag."Source:Getty 7 of 16
8. Remember when Pharrell had people of all ages attempting the Star Trek symbol?Source:Getty 8 of 16
9. High fashion fur at a Moncler show.Source:Getty 9 of 16
10. His Louis Vuitton scarf was pretty dope.Source:Getty 10 of 16
11. Pharrell has always cleaned up nice.Source:Getty 11 of 16
12. Ice Cream craze.Source:Getty 12 of 16
13. Before Lil Wayne was skateboarding, Pharrell was and reppin' it hard.Source:Getty 13 of 16
14. The infamous Pharrell hat.Source:Getty 14 of 16
15. Back in the day, Pharrell's signature style included trucker hats.Source:Getty 15 of 16
16. When his pants were shorter than his wife's on the red carpet.Source:Getty 16 of 16
Mac Miller Talks Getting Sober With Rick Rubin, Christmas Album With Cam’ron, & More With ItsTheReal was originally published on globalgrind.com