Fetty Wap is having a LeBron James kind of year. It’s honestly so surreal. The Patterson, N.J. native has entrenched himself among the upper echelon of artists in 2015 because of his resume. His unflinching approach to the game has major labels shook. His grind is nuts. While artists tend to simply vacay for a short-time on Billboard, Fetty has become a permanent resident by nestling himself in the Top 10. With the VMAs looming and his name sweeping through the music industry like a hurricane- Fetty winning Best New Artist should be a no-brainer.
You need facts? We got you.
- “Trap Queen” was released in 2014 and has since garnered over 80 million plays on Soundcloud and counting.
- Fetty was named one of the Freshmen 10 by XXL.
- He had three top-2o songs simultaneously, including “Trap Queen,” “My Way” and “679.” That made him the first rapper to accomplish that feat since Eminem.
- He was the first rapper since Lil Wayne to have four top-1o songs on the rap charts in “Trap Queen,” My Way,” “679,” and “Again.”
- Drake jumped on his remix for “My Way.”
- Taylor Swift brought him out for one of her shows during the “1989” tour.
- He as awarded “The Most-Played Video Of The Year So Far” for “Trap Queen” by Music Choice.
- His poignant catchphrase “1738” became a staple in the Kansas City Royals locker room.
- Kanye West gave him a HUGE co-sign.
No disrespect to any of the other artists in the Best New Artist category, but Fetty’s monstrous year can’t be ignored. With top-notch bangers ringing off in the club every night, it’s only right that Mr. 1738 gets his just due.
READ MORE ON THE URBAN DAILY
Why Fetty Wap Should Absolutely Win VMA’s Best New Artist Award was originally published on theurbandaily.com